These savory homemade meatballs are stuffed with fresh mozzarella cheese and seasoned with fresh herbs.
Every bite is a delight.
A classic meatball recipe made with beef, veal and pork that is seasoned with breadcrumbs and herbs then rolled around mozzarella balls. I like my meatballs on the smaller side so I used 1/2 a mozzarella ball. If you like larger meatballs, use an entire mozzarella ball. Directions for both sizes are below.
These meatballs can be made with Gluten-free bread crumbs and although I like to chop my onions into large chunks, feel free to dice your pieces small.
This recipe makes about 8 full sized meatballs or 16 smaller meatballs so that you can make them for a large crowd or freeze some for a different meal. Enjoy!
Mozzarella Stuffed Meatballs
- 2 eggs, lightly beaten
- 1 tbs. Worcestershire sauce
- 2 yellow onions, chopped
- 2/3 cup seasoned bread crumbs ( gluten-free works as well)
- ½ cup grated Parmesan cheese
- 3 tbs. fresh parsley, roughly chopped
- 2 tbs. fresh basil, finely chopped
- 1 tbs. fresh oregano, finely chopped
- 6 garlic cloves, grated
- 1/2 tsp. salt
- 1/4 tsp. pepper
- A pinch crushed red pepper flakes
- 1 lbs. lean ground beef (90% lean)
- 1/2 lbs. ground pork
- 1/2 lbs. ground veal
- 16 Mozzarella cheese balls, drained and patted dry
- Hot cooked pasta
- Marinara or spaghetti sauce, warmed
- In a large bowl, combine eggs and Worcestershire sauce.
- Add the onions, bread crumbs, Parmesan cheese, parsley, basil, oregano, garlic, salt, pepper and red pepper flakes.
- Crumble the beef, pork and veal over mixture; mix well.
- Shape 16 portions around a mozzarella ball or 32 portions around a 1/2 mozzarella ball.
- Place meatballs on a foil-lined cookie sheet or rack in a shallow baking pan.
- Bake at 400° for 25-30 minutes for large meatballs or 15-20 minutes for smaller ones ( a thermometer reads 160° when they are cooked through).
- Drain on paper towels and serve with hot pasta and sauce.