I am inspired to write this post after a lengthy conversation that I had with a MealDiva friend today:
So many people bust their butts at the gym, but undo it all when they get home by making horrible nutritional choices. Eating too much, too little, or eating foods that don’t benefit the body are all huge roadblocks on the path to getting healthy and fit.
I could sugar coat things (no pun intended) but I’ll get right to the point. The bottom line is this: you ARE what you eat, period.
This old saying wasn’t created for no reason.
- If you choose to put unhealthy, chemical-laden, fake, processed foods into your body, don’t be surprised when you feel sluggish, tired, weighed down, and unable to perform the challenges life brings your way. So many people are looking to restaurants and fast food for their next meal or snack. Recently, I cut through McDonalds on Route 31 in Clinton at 5:00 in the evening and I was shocked at how many cars were lined up at the drive-thru. Fast food is bad and some restaurants are no better. No matter what the menu says a lot of restaurant and fast foods are worse for you than eating your own home cooked meal at home. You know what you put in your recipes. Restaurants may say that they cook with olive oil – but is it really? And what kind of olive oil is it? In addition, Never fry. The grease is nasty. Don’t’ believe me? Try this, cook a piece of chicken in oil. Make sure there is enough to really fry it. Remove the chicken and let the grease sit for about an hour. Go back and look at the grease. That is what you put in your stomach every time you eat something fried. Not a pretty sight uh?
- Another problem I often encounter are people ( and children) who don’t comsume sufficient calories. If you don’t put enough food into your body, don’t be surprised when you feel like you want to wave the white flag at 3pm; you’re out of energy and the day isn’t even half over.
- Finally, if you choose to put vitamin and mineral rich, nutrient dense, whole, natural, REAL foods in your body, don’t be surprised when you feel energetic, vibrant, and satisfied throughout the day. You’re on your A-game and ready to take on the world!
So HOW can you avoid getting caught in the trap? How can you make sure to fuel your body right so that you can expect it to function properly? By implementing the same strategies you do for all other areas of life: planning and determination.
- Planning meals ahead of time helps avoid grab-and-go fast food choices. It also gives you the opportunity to make sure that your diet is balanced & that you’re getting proper nutrition. Need inspiration? MealDiva.com is filled with TONS of family friendly, kid-approved meals that your family will love!!
- Determination is imperative in instances where you’re tempted to make an unhealthy food choice; perhaps you need a quick meal or you are in a social setting or at a restaurant. Determination to stick with healthy and nutritious food choices will keep you on track to success and positive change.
Need help? MealDiva has an ebook that’s full of healthy family dinners (with grocery shopping lists) or I can help you create a customized, nutritious food plan that will fuel your body with the good stuff and get you and your family back on track! Check out my testimonials page to see what MealDiva planning is all about or send me an email. It’s time to start feeding you and your family RIGHT!