Cinco de Mayo is this week and I feel like everyone reaches for the limes. Don’t you think margaritas, guacamole, tequila and chicken all taste delicious with a little bit of lime? That’s why today I’m sharing a favorite lime- based dressing along with a colorful and mouthwatering chopped salad. This Mexican Salad will be a hit at your next party.
Cino de May- or the fifth day of May- commemorates the Mexican army’s 1862 victory over France at the Battle of Puebla during the Franco-Mexican War. It’s actually not a popular holiday in Mexico but here in the USA it is a celebration of Mexican culture and heritage. It’s also my good friend Jenny’s birthday. It’s one of my favorite days.
That being said, I aim to please so you can definitely add a little jalapeño to this salad and a little chili pepper to the dressing if your looking for more a kick. I find that most people prefer the salad without the kick. Serve this salad with a little Mexican Marinated Steak, Mexican Chicken in Cream Sauce , some Homemade Lemonade and a little Mexican Chocolate Ganache Cake for dessert. Happy Cinco de Mayo! Cheers & Enjoy!
Zesty Cilantro Lime Mexican Chopped Salad
Ingredients for the dressing:
- ¼ cup fresh lime juice ( freshly squeezed prefered)
- 2 1/2 tbs. honey
- ½ tsp. ground cumin
- 1 garlic clove, diced small
- A pinch of salt
- 2 tbs. Canola oil
- 2 tbs. Olive oil
- Salt and pepper to taste
Ingredients for the salad:
- 1 medium head romaine lettuce, torn into bite sized pieces
- 1 medium bell pepper, diced
- ½ medium red onion, diced
- ½ medium jicama, peeled and diced
- 2 Tomatoes, diced
- 1 ½ cups frozen corn ( if in season, fresh corn would be lovely)
- 1 (14oz) can black beans, drained and rinsed
- ½ cup Cilantro, chopped
- For the dressing, combine lime juice, honey, cumin garlic and salt. Stir to combine. In a steady stream, add the oils, whisking continuously. Taste and add more salt and pepper, if needed. Set aside.
- For the salad, combine salad ingredients in a large bowl.
- Toss to combine then add dressing and stir to coat all ingredients. Garnish with cilantro leaves, if desired.
- Serve with tortilla chips for a little crunch.