I think I’m drowning in snow and ice. I keep looking outside wondering where the clear skies and sun are… someone PLEASE tell me that spring is around the corner!
I guess the good news is that it’s still soup season…
To celebrate, today I made a Lightened Up Loaded Potato Soup.
I LOVE potatoes: they are one of my favorite things to eat and I make them at least once a week. This soup is SOOOOOOOOOOOO GOOD! Go ahead and “pin” it or “share it on FB” — this way you can quickly find the recipe when you’re ready to make it!
I hope it keeps you warm until Spring…
Lightened-Up Loaded Potato Soup
- 1 ½ tbs. olive oil, divided
- 1 small yellow onion, chopped
- 2 sprigs fresh thyme, leaves removed from stem
- 6 cloves of garlic, peeled and roughly chopped
- 1 lb. baking potato, peeled and cubed
- 1 lbs. Yukon gold potatoes, peeled and cubed
- 6 cups unsalted chicken stock
- Salt and pepper to taste
- 1 bay leaf
- 1 head of cauliflower, cut into florets
- PAM cooking spray
- 1 ½ cups fat free milk
- 3 scallions, chopped
- ½ cup fat-free sour cream
- a little grated cheese of choice
- 2 sausages, roasted until done and chopped into bite size pieces (optional)
- Preheat oven to 450°.
- Heat a large Dutch oven over medium-high heat.
- Add 1 1/2 tsp. oil to pan
- Add onion, thyme, and garlic; sauté 5 minutes or until tender
- Add potatoes, stock, 1/2 teaspoon salt, and bay leaf; bring to a boil.
- Cover, reduce heat, and simmer 35 minutes or until potatoes are very tender, stirring occasionally. Remove from heat; discard bay leaf.
- While potatoes simmer, combine remaining 1 tablespoon oil, cauliflower, salt and pepper on baking sheet and toss to coat.
- Roast at 450° for 20 minutes or until browned, turning once.
- Place cauliflower mixture and milk in a blender ( be careful it’s HOT)
- Blend until smooth.
- Pour cauliflower mixture into a large bowl.
- Add half of potato mixture to blender; pulse 5 to 6 times or until coarsely chopped.
- Pour into bowl with cauliflower mixture.
- Repeat with remaining potato mixture.
- Place cauliflower-potato mixture in Dutch oven over medium heat.
- Add salt and pepper to taste, scallions and sour cream.
- Stir until well combined.
- Ladle soup into bowls. Top evenly with cheese, and if you wish, sausage bites.
If you like this recipe, be sure to check out my Potato-Leek Soup as well!