Today we are cooking up a Classic Cabbage Vegetable Soup. I think cabbage is often over looked and if you rarely cook with it, I highly encourage you to give this yummy recipe a whirl!
Classic Cabbage Vegetable Soup
- 2 tbs. olive oil
- 1 yellow onion, diced
- 4 garlic cloves, diced
- 5 medium carrots, peeled and chopped
- 5 celery ribs, chopped
- 1 (4oz) can tomato paste
- 1 ½ tsp. chili powder
- 1 ½ tsp. dried basil
- 1 ½ tsp. dried oregano
- Salt and pepper to taste
- 1 (15oz) can fire roasted tomatoes
- 5 cups chicken broth ( or vegetable broth)
- 1 medium head of cabbage, chopped
- Heat oil in a large soup pot over medium-high heat.
- Add onion and sauté until fragrant, about 5 minutes then add garlic for an additional minute.
- Add celery and carrots and sauté vegetables for 5 minutes.
- Add tomato paste, chili powder, spices and stir to combine.
- Add the tomatoes, broth and cabbage.
- Bring to a boil and stir well.
- Let soup simmer for 20 minutes until the vegetables are tender.
• If you want to add a little protein to the soup, 1 (15oz) can small white beans (rinsed and drained) makes a nice addition!