Today’s #SundaySupper features delicious “Tantalizing Trays” and is hosted by Conni of The Foodie Army Wife – so thank you Conni!
I love tiny bites of food and I had a very hard time choosing just one recipe to bring to today’s #SundaySupper table. After much debate, I finally chose a family favorite – bite sized meatballs. After all, we are a meatball loving family! We love turkey, beef and chicken meatballs and so today I’m taking about tasty- mini- bites– of- savory- yumminess – or as my kids call them “meatball poppers:”
- They are perfect for serving as a party appetizer and for eating with your hands.
- They are small but hearty and flavorful and satisfying.
- They are adorable.
- And so simple to make.
- And they are delicious.
My kids loved every single bite of these (and so did I).
These mini meatballs can be made with ground turkey, chicken, pork, veal or beef – feel free to substitute with your favorite! I used ground chicken. The best part about these is that they can made ahead of time, stored wrapped in the refrigerator and then heated in a 350 degree oven for 10-20 minutes until they are warmed through and the cheese has melted.
Serve this at your next party ( or as an after school snack) and watch them disappear! Enjoy!
Bite Sized Meatballs
For the sauce:
- 1 tbs. olive oil
- 1 small yellow onion, chopped
- 1 garlic clove, diced
- 1 (14oz) can tomato puree
- 4 tsp. tomato paste
- 1 tbs. ketchup
- ¼ tsp. dried Italian seasoning
- ¼ cup chicken broth
- Heat olive oil in a large pan and sauté the onion for 5-8 minutes until it’s fragrant and soft.
- Add the garlic and sauté for an additional minute.
- Add the tomato puree, tomato paste, ketchup, Italian seasoning and chicken broth to the pan then reduce the heat and simmer until the meatballs are done.
For the meatballs:
- 1 lb. ground chicken
- 1/3-cup whole-wheat bread crumbs with Italian seasoning
- 1 egg
- 2 tbs. grated parmesan cheese
- Salt and pepper
- 2-3 tbs. canola oil for frying
- Preheat oven to 400 degrees
- In a medium bowl, combine the ground chicken, breadcrumbs and egg then add the parmesan cheese and a pinch of salt and pepper; mix until well combined.
- Form rounded teaspoonfuls of the meatball mixture into about 25 balls.
- Heat oil in a medium skillet and fry the meatballs for 2 minutes per side until they are browned then transfer them to a foil lined baking sheet and bake for 15 minutes, turning them half way through.
- Using your thumb, press down on the inside part of the French bread slices; making an indent that will hold the meatball.
- Place 1-2 meatballs into the middle then top with sauce then cheese.
- If desired, broil until the cheese is melted, about 1-2 minutes then serve.
Here’s what my fellow blogger friends are bringing to the table:
- Antipasto Skewers by Simply Gourmet
- Bite-Sized Meatballs by MealDiva
- BLT Bites by The Life and Loves of Grumpy’s Honeybunch
- BLT Canapes by Peaceful Cooking
- BLT Crostini with Basil Mayonnaise by Bobbi’s Kozy Kitchen
- Blueberry Jam and Goat Cheese Crostini by Casa de Crews
- Brie and Tomato Bruschetta by Jane’s Adventures in Dinner
- Cajun Deviled Eggs by Peanut Better and Peppers
- Charcuterie Board by Family Foodie
- Cheese-Filled Apple Rounds by eatingininstead
- Coquilles St. Jacques by Nosh My Way
- Crudite Platter with Copycat Hidden Valley Ranch Dip by Hot Momma’s Kitchen Chaos
- Crunchy Tuna Salad Boats by A Mama, Baby & Shar-pei in the Kitchen
- Cucumber Sandwiches by Momma’s Meals
- Feta Zucchini Bites by Curious Cuisiniere
- Gluten Free Thai Soup Shooters by Gluten Free Crumbley
- Goat Cheese Stuffed Figs by Eat, Drink and be Tracy
- Heirloom Caprese Salad by Shockingly Delicious
- Jalapeño Mac ‘n Cheese Bites by The Wimpy Vegetarian
- The Modern Relish Tray by An Appealing Plan
- Mostarda di Frutta by Rhubarb and Honey
- Pimento Cheese Stuffed Peppers by Magnolia Days
- Ploughman’s Platter for a Party by The Girl In The Little Red Kitchen
- Puff Pastry Cheese Sticks by Basic N Delicious
- Rye Party Puffs by Kudos Kitchen by Renee
- Southwestern Turkey Sliders by The Texan New Yorker
- Spinach and Mushroom Pizza Bites by The Dinner-Mom
- Tomato Basil Soup Shooters by Cindy’s Recipes and Writings
- Zucchini and Summer Squash Crostini by Hip Foodie Mom
- Alice in Wonderland Sugar Cookies by Hezzi-D’s Books and Cooks
- Baked Lemon Glazed Mini Donuts by Killer Bunnies Inc.
- Chocolate Oreo Pocky Cupcakes, Cake, and Morello Cherry Buttercream by NinjaBaking
- French Silk Shooters by That Skinny Chick Can Bake
- German Chocolate Brownie Bites by Wallflour Girl
- Mini Banana Nutella Cheesecake Parfaits (#glutenfree option) by Cupcakes & Kale Chips
- Raspberry Fools by The Foodie Army Wife
- Strawberry Shortcake Dessert Shooters by The Redhead Baker
- Vegan Caramel Truffles by What Smells So Good?
- White Chocolate Peanut Butter & Banana Bites by Take A Bite Out of Boca
- Witchy Chocolate Mousse with Culinary Fairy Dust by Culinary Adventures with Camilla