Sautéed greens with olive oil, garlic and a little lemon juice: classic, fresh and delicious. It’s such a wonderful fall side dish and goes well with anything from pasta to chicken to short ribs. It’s so easy to make and really, really delicious!
Cooks Note: I’ve tried to take the butter out of the recipe but it can’t be done…it really adds a nice flavor to this yummy dish! Let me repeat that: seriously, don’t “skinny” this recipe; it’s not worth sacrificing the taste! Enjoy!
Swiss Chard: A Healthy Fall Side Dish
- 1 ½ tbs. butter
- 1 ½ tsp. olive oil
- 2 garlic cloves, diced
- A pinch of crushed red pepper
- 2 bunches swiss chard, stems trimmed, leaves torn.
- ½ lemon, juiced
- Salt and pepper to taste
- Melt butter and oil in a large skillet of medium low heat.
- Add garlic and dry red pepper, sauté for 1 minute.
- Add swiss chard stems and sauté for 6 minutes then add the leaves
- Sauté for 4 minutes until starting to become tender.
- Add lemon juice to the pan
- Season with salt and pepper to taste.