My family polished this off in one sitting so I’d say this was a hit on all fronts. This butternut squash chili is full of flavor: the chili powder & cumin come together to compliment thesquash, making this a flavorful, perfect one-pot meal.
GAH. I just love this. Not much else to say. For once
Turkey & Butternut Squash Chili
- 1 lb. ground turkey
- 1 yellow onion, diced
- 2 cloves garlic, diced
- 1 (24.5 oz) can tomatoes with basil
- ½ butternut squash, peeled and cubed
- 1-cup low-sodium chicken broth
- 1 ½ tsp. cumin
- 2 tsp. chili powder
- 1 (16 oz) can black beans or 1-½ cups cooked black beans
- Optional: 1 cup frozen corn kernels
- In a large pot or Dutch oven, cook turkey over medium-high heat until meat starts to crumble.
- Add onion and continue to sauté for 5 minutes, until onion is soft and turkey is no longer pink.
- Add garlic and sauté for 1 minute.
- Add tomatoes, squash, chicken broth, cumin and chili powder. Stir to combine.
- Cover and reduce heat to medium-low and simmer for 10 minutes.
- Add beans and continue to simmer for an additional 5 minutes.
- Add corn (if using) and continue to cook until squash is fork tender and the chili is thick, about 5-10 minutes. Enjoy!
Here are my favorite chili accompaniments:
- Chopped chives.
- Sour Cream
- Avocado or Guacamole
- Monterrey Jack Cheese
- Artichoke Tapenade
What are yours?
If you like this recipe, you might want to check out my Vegetarian Chili as well!