This time of year I look forward to a little more baking, roasting veggies and long simmered soups. However, once in a while I crave a quick, healthy dinner like these loaded sweet potatoes. I stuff them with beans, jalapeños and cheese. My kids prefer to stuff them with marshmallows…. occasionally I oblige…
These make a GREAT lunch as well! Enjoy!
Stuffed Sweet Potatoes
- 4 sweet potatoes
- 1 tbs. olive oil
- ½ onion, peeled and diced
- 1 ½ cup cooked black beans or 1 (15oz) can
- 1 jalapeno pepper, seeded and diced
- ¾ shredded cheddar cheese
- Preheat the oven to 400 degrees F.
- Wash the sweet potatoes, scrubbing them well to remove any dirt.
- With a fork, prick the sweet potatoes in a couple of spots and place them on a sheet pan.
- Bake for about 45 minutes, or until a knife inserted in the center goes in easily.
- When potatoes have 10 minutes of cooking time left, heat oil in a sauté pan over medium-high heat and add onion.
- Cook for 3 minutes then add beans and pepper.
- Sauté mixture until heated through, about 5-7 minutes. Remove from heat.
- Slice the sweet potatoes lengthwise down the center and push the ends towards the middle so it opens up.
- Remove a few tbs. of cooked sweet potato (careful not to rip the skin) and add to the bean mixture. Combine.
- Stuff the sweet potatoes generously with the bean mixture and top with cheese.
- Return to the oven.
- Bake for another 20 minutes, or until the topping is bubbly and brown.
Marshmallow Topped Sweet Potatoes
- 4 sweet potatoes
- ½ stick of butter
- 2-4 marshmallows per potato
- Follow the directions above for cooking the potatoes.
- When potatoes are cooked, remove the inside and place in a bowl.
- Add butter and mash to combine.
- Return mixture to sweet potato skin and top with mash mellows.
- Return potatoes to the oven and cook for another 10-15 minutes until the marshmallows are gooey.
- I like to broil them at the end add an extra layer of crunch to the melted marshmallows. ☺