This one-pot meal is straight out of October 2013’s Food Network Magazine. Ok, we tweaked the gnocchi recipe a little but they get all of the credit!
My mom was over yesterday and was browsing through the magazine. Then, while I was out, she whipped this together, using the ingredients that I had in the house, and it turned out yummy! Be sure to make the sauce in an oven-proof pan because it goes from the stove top to the oven to finish cooking just like a frittata. From start to finish, this gnocchi recipe took 40 minutes! What a great comfort dish! Enjoy!
Scrumptious Baked Gnocchi
- 1 tbs. olive oil
- 1 small package of white mushrooms, sliced
- Salt and Pepper to taste
- 2 tbs. salted butter
- 2 tbs. whole-wheat flour
- 1 ½ cups skim milk
- 1 cup organic, reduced sodium chicken broth
- ¼ tsp. nutmeg
- ½ rotisserie chicken, meat shredded
- 1 package of potato gnocchi
- 1 ½ cups spinach
- 1/4 cup grated Parmesan cheese
- Preheat oven to 425
- Heat olive oil in a skillet over medium-high heat
- Add the mushrooms and a pinch of salt and a dash of pepper and sauté for 5 -8 minutes. I like my mushrooms really browned so I cook them for 8 minutes. The time is up to you.
- Transfer mushrooms to a plate.
- Melt butter in the same skillet over medium heat
- Add the flour and whisk for 3 minutes.
- Whisk in the milk and then the chicken broth until they are well blended together, about 5 minutes.
- Add a pinch of salt and the nutmeg
- Add the chicken, mushrooms, gnocchi and spinach to the sauce and stir until everything is well coated and the spinach is wilted.
- Add Parmesan to the top and transfer the skillet to the oven,
- Bake until bubbling, about 20 minutes.
- If you wish, broil for the last few minutes of cooking time to brown the cheese.