Father’s day is always a fun day to celebrate dad and how wonderful he is. Many people give dad gifts or cards… but in the Diva household, we make Ropa Vieja!
Oh yes my friends, this is man food.
Whenever I make this meal, the men in my life get excited and so, for this week’s #SundaySupper, I wanted to share my famous father-inspired Ropa Vieja – it’s simply delicious!
So what is Ropa Vieja? Mine is reminiscent of the Latin version of the dish because it’s beef that is stewed with onions, tomatoes, jalapenos and a little olive brine. The beef is then shredded and served over rice. Here’s the best part of this recipe: if you are like our family, we always do something fun on father’s day and cooking a nice meal becomes a stressful challenge. To solve this problem, I make this in the crockpot! That’s right – set it and forget it! When you get home, all you have to do is cook the rice, make a quick side salad and you are golden! Easy peasy!
Happy Father’s Day to all you dad’s out there! I hope your family is spoiling you rotten!
Also, if you like this recipe, please subscribe to my newsfeed and have free recipes delivered right to your inbox!
- 1 (15 oz) can crushed tomatoes
- 1 tbs. ketchup
- 1 tbs. apple cider vinegar
- 3 garlic cloves, diced
- 2 tsp. cumin
- 2 jalapeno peppers, thinly sliced (one with seeds the other without)
- Sea salt
- 1 1/2 pounds skirt or flank steak
- 1 small yellow onion, thinly sliced
- 3 tablespoons chopped green olives, plus 1 1/2 tbs. of brine from the jar
- Cooked white rice
- Combine the tomatoes, ketchup, vinegar, garlic, cumin, jalapeno and a pinch of salt in a crockpot.
- Add the steak and onion and toss to coat.
- Cover and cook on low for 8 -10 hours.
- Uncover and skim off any excess fat.
- Shred the meat then stir in the olives and olive brine.
- Serve over rice.
Love this recipe? Check out these mouthwatering links below! And thank you to Susan at Little Red Kitchen for hosting today’s yummy #SundaySupper event!!!!
- BBQ Chicken Nacho by Country Girl in The Kitchen
- Beer Battered Fried Mushrooms by Kudos Kitchen by Renee
- Burrata Bresaola and Arugula Appetizer by Family Foodie
- Chicken Satay with Spicy Peanut Sauce by Hip Foodie Mom
- Chipotle Pork Belly-Stuffed Jalapeño Poppers by The Redhead Baker
- Coconut Beer-Battered Prawns with Spicy Marmalade by The Wimpy Vegetarian
- Devils on Horseback by Nosh My Way
- Fried Pickles by Cookin’ Mimi
- Garlic and Herb Wine Jelly by What Smells So Good?
- Maple Sriracha Chicken Wings by Manu’s Menu
- Tomato Bacon Jam by Feed Me, Seymour
- Bacon Bourbon BBQ Burgers by The Girl In The Little Red Kitchen
- Bacon Cheeseburger Crustless Quiche by Cupcakes & Kale Chips
- Beef Barbacoa by Casa de Crews
- Beef Short Rib Sandwich by Life Tastes Good
- Beer Brats with Pepper Relish by Jelly Toast
- Beer Can Chicken by Curious Cuisiniere
- Chicago Style-Pizza by Small Wallet, Big Appetite
- Chili Dog Casserole by Simple Gourmet
- Chipotle Pork Chops by girlichef
- Coconut & Lime Grilled Shrimp Skewers by Take A Bite Out of Boca
- Colossal Burger by Jane’s Adventures in Dinner
- Gluten Free Lemon Pepper Wings by Gluten Free Crumbley
- Grilled Chipotle Chicken Pizza by Peaceful Cooking
- Grilled Lobster with Miso Butter by Kimchi MOM
- Grilled Sweet Guava Chicken by The Foodie Army Wife
- Ham and Pineapple Pizza Pockets by gotta get baked
- Huevos Rancheros Casserole by Pescetarian Journal
- Lacquered Short Ribs in the Slow Cooker by Shockingly Delicious
- Maple Chipotle Barbecue Pork Tenderloin by Flavor Mosaic
- Meatball Burger on Garlic Bread by Healthy.Delicious.
- Mom’s Slow Roasted Brisket by Food Lust People Love
- Perfectly Pan Seared Steak by Serena Bakes Simply From Scratch
- Pollo al Peperoncino by Run DMT
- Polish Coal Miner Piggies (Stuffed Cabbage Rolls- Golabki) by Rants from my Crazy Kitchen
- Red Chile Shredded Chicken Tacos. How to win over your man’s stomach and steal his heart. by Simply Healthy Family
- Ropa Vieja by Meal Diva
- Salt of the Earth Ribs by Culinary Adventures with Camilla
- Salisbury Steak w/ Loaded Mashed Potatoes and Mushroom Gravy by A Kitchen Hoor’s Adventures
- Smoked Turkey Drumsticks by Cindy’s Recipes and Writing
- Stuffed Chipotle Bacon Cheese Burgers by Peanut Butter and Peppers
- Stuffed Pork Chops by The Not So Cheesy Kitchen
- Tex-Mex Gut Buster Chili by Bobbi’s Kozy Kitchen
- The Cleveland Hogg Burger by Seduction in the Kitchen
- Beer Funnel Cake by Killer Bunnies, Inc.
- Black Forest Cake by Noshing with the Nolands
- Carob Chip Cookies by Pies and Plots
- Chunky Monkey Vegan Banana Bread by Ninjabaking.com
- Classic Cheesecake by Hot Momma’s Kitchen Chaos
- Fat Man’s Pie by Magnolia Days
- Mandarin orange cake aka southern pig pickin’ cake by Baking & Browning
- Pizookies by That Skinny Chick Can Bake
- Grilled Pound Cake Stacks with Roasted Strawberries by Melanie Makes
- Strawberry Rhubarb Pie With Mascarpone Cream by La Bella Vita Cucina
Wine Pairings for Man Food #SundaySupper byENOFYLZ Wine Blog
Join the #SundaySupper conversation on twitter on Sunday! We tweet throughout the day and share recipes from all over the world. Our weekly chat starts at 7:00 pm ET. Follow the #SundaySupper hashtag and remember to include it in your tweets to join in the chat. Check out our#SundaySupper Pinterest board for more fabulous recipes and food photos.
Would you like to join the Sunday Supper Movement? It’s easy. You can sign up by clicking here: Sunday Supper Movement.
Like this?Make sure to follow me on Facebook, Twitter, and Pinterest. Also be sure to subscribe to my newsfeed to receive free recipes delivered directly to your inbox.
New: MealDiva Dinner Plans - Summer 2014 is now available.