Who doesn’t love a good Butternut Squash soup recipe?
I adore butternut squash for its sweet flavor, silky texture, and adaptability in the kitchen. It can be used in both savory and sweet dishes and I love how it’s smooth skin just peels away with a potato peeler. Beautiful.
This year in New Jersey, I have friends who have Butternut Squash that is already ripe and ready to be eaten! I guess the rainy, colder summer has helped the squash grow faster! Sounds good to me!
Today, I made a very easy and yummy Butternut Squash soup. This meal is a great make-ahead dinner that can be heated and served on a as- needed- basis as your kids come and go from their after school activities. Be sure to include the chives because they add a fantastic dimension to the soup! Delicious & nutritious! Enjoy!
First, peel the butternut squash with a potato peeler. Then slice it in half and, using a spoon, scoop out the seeds.
Cut the butternut squash into cubes/bite- size pieces and place into a roasting dish that has been sprayed with PAM. Add sliced ginger and bake for 50 minutes. It will smell fantastic!
Next, add 1/2 the cooled squash/ginger mixture and 1/2 the chicken broth to a blender or food processor. Puree. Repeat with remaining squash and broth.
Pour puree into a soup pot and heat for 10 minutes. Add pepper and chives and a little cream. Lightly stir and enjoy!
Roasted Butternut Squash Soup
- 1 large butternut squash, peeled and cubed
- 1 tbs. olive oil
- ¼ tsp. salt
- 1 ½ inch piece of fresh ginger, sliced thin
- 4 cups chicken broth
- 2 tbs. fresh chives
- Pepper to taste
- 1 tbs. light cream or sour cream to top soup with ( optional)
- Combine the squash, olive oil, salt and ginger on a large roasting pan.
- Bake for 50 minutes
- Cool for 10 minutes
- Place half the roasted squash mixture and ½ the broth in a blender and puree
- Pour into a medium saucepan
- Repeat with remaining squash and broth
- Heat soup on medium for 10 minutes until heated through.
- Serve topped with chives and pepper and a little cream or sour cream if you wish.