Meet the newest “favorite” Chinese inspired recipe in the MealDiva house. It’s really brilliant and bursting with flavor, both savory and sweet, thus Sweet and Sour Chicken!
Did I say this was FANTASTIC??
To make this a MealDiva Approved dinner; serve with 1 cup of whole-wheat rice and a nice side salad with 2 tbs. ( perhaps Asian style) dressing. Enjoy!
Out-Of-This-World-Sweet & Sour Chicken
- 8 chicken pieces (I used chicken breasts and drumsticks)
- 4 tbs. olive oil (you may need a little more)
- ¼ cup whole-wheat flour (you may need a little more)
- 3 tbs. soy sauce (I recommend organic, low sodium)
- 3 tbs. water
- 1- cup sugar (I used sugar in the raw but white is fine and it dissolves better)
- ½ cup vinegar (plain, white vinegar)
- 1-2 heads of broccoli, cut into florets
- Preheat oven to 350
- Pour olive oil into a small bowl.
- Pour flour into a different small bowl.
- Dredge the chicken by dipping the chicken into the olive oil then in the flour; making sure the chicken is coated.
- In a large skillet over medium-high heat, brown the chicken until crispy, about 10-15 minutes.
- Drain and place in a large baking dish.
- Place broccoli in the same baking dish
- To make sauce: combine soy sauce, water, sugar and vinegar. Stir until the sugar dissolves.
- Pour sauce over the chicken and broccoli
- Bake, covered in the oven for 45 minutes.
- Uncover and cook another 15 minutes until chicken is cooked through and juices run clear.
- Serve over rice.