I’m dedicating this meal to my sister who lives in Newport Beach, CA. This chicken is a three-pot meal and is full of fantastic summer flavor! It’s a complete, Karen friendly, Mealdiva approved dinner! Enjoy!
First, make your dredging mixture and flour the chicken. Dredging is just covering your chicken in the herb-flour mixture. Be sure to shake off the excess.
Next, set the whole-wheat pasta to cook in a pot of boiling water. As the pasta cooks, brown the chicken and mushrooms.
In a separate pan, saute the vegetables until they are still firm but starting to soften, 5 minutes.
Next, nestle the vegetables into the chicken skillet and simmer for 5 minutes. When done, serve one chicken breast with a heaping scoop of veggies on top of 1- cup whole-wheat pasta. So yummy!
Newport Beach Chicken
- ¼ cup whole-wheat flour
- ¼ tsp. salt
- ¼ tsp. pepper
- ½ tsp. dried oregano
- 4 skinless chicken breasts, thin sliced or pounded
- 2 tbs. olive oil
- 1 cup mushroom, sliced
- ½ cup cooking sherry
- ½ cup chicken broth
- 1 garlic clove, minced
- ½ lemon, juiced
- 4 carrots, diced
- 1 large zucchini, sliced
- 1 box of whole-wheat pasta
- In a small bowl or dish, mix flour, salt, pepper and oregano
- Dredge chicken in flour mixture
- Heat olive oil in a large skillet on medium-high
- Place chicken in the skillet and brown for 3 minutes per side
- After 6 minutes, add garlic to the pan and sauté for 1 minute then add mushrooms
- Pour in sherry, lemon juice and chicken broth and bring to a boil.
- Lower heat, cover the skillet and simmer for 10 minutes, turning the chicken once.
- While chicken is simmering, add pasta to pot of boiling water and cooking according to package directions. Then, in a different pan, sauté carrots and zucchini in 1 tbs. of olive oil for 5 minutes.
- Add veggies to the chicken skillet for the remaining 5 minutes and then serve!