The humble leftover turkey carcass makes incredible homemade stock. It’s really easy to do: just toss it in a big pot of water with veggies and herbs/seasoning and let it simmer for a little over an hour! Turkey stock is really rich in flavor and perfect for making soups. Give this a whirl: I promise you will fall in love!
Homemade turkey stock
- 1 left over turkey carcass
- 14 cups of water
- 2 carrots, sliced
- 2 celery ribs, sliced
- 2 fresh thyme sprigs
- 4 leaves fresh basil
- 2 fresh oregano sprigs
- 1 fresh parsley sprig
- 1 bay leaf
- 2 garlic cloves, minced
- A little salt and pepper to taste.
- Place all ingredients in a stockpot.
- Bring to a boil.
- Reduce heat, cover and simmer for 1 hour, 15 minutes
- Remove turkey carcass.
- Cool broth for 45 minutes.
- Strain through a cheesecloth lined colander and discard vegetables and herbs.
- Refrigerate overnight and skim fat from the top before using.
- Broth can be kept in the fridge overnight or frozen for 3 months.