A quick search for Father’s Day recipes turns up results for pork, steak, and wings galore… and I totally hopped on that band wagon! This Sunday, head to the kitchen and serve up something deliciously slow roasted and pork flavored that will satisfy the most dedicated carnivore – DAD.
Slow roasted pork … Mmmmm… is there anything better?
I’m sorry…. slow roasted pulled pork with homemade BBQ sauce… Mmmmm… is there anything better?
Nope. There’s nothing better. Make this recipe NOW!!!
Father’s Day Pulled Pork
- 2 tbs. dark brown sugar
- 1 medium onion, chopped
- 1 tbs. paprika
- 2 tbs. chili powder
- Big pinch of salt
- 2 tsp. cumin
- Good pinch of pepper
- 1/2 tsp. dry mustard
- 1/2 tsp. ground chipotle chile pepper
- 1 (5-pound) boneless pork shoulder (Boston butt), trimmed
- Cooking spray
- 2 cups water, divided
- 1/2 cup apple cider vinegar
- 1/3 cup ketchup
- 1 1/2 cups brown sugar
- 1 1/2 cups ketchup
- 1/2 cup red wine vinegar
- 1/2 cup water
- 1 tbs. Worcestershire sauce
- 2 1/2 tbs. dry mustard
- 2 tsp.paprika
- A good pinch of salt
- A good pinch of pepper
- 2 dashes hot pepper sauce
- To prepare pork, place onion in the bottom of a baking dish and combine the next 8 ingredients in a small bowl. Rub sugar mixture evenly over pork. Let pork stand at room temperature 1 hour.
- Preheat oven to 225°.
- Place pork on the rack of a roasting pan coated with cooking spray. Pour 1 cup water in bottom of roasting pan. Place rack in pan. Bake at 225° for 1 hour.
- Combine 1/2 cup vinegar and ketchup in a medium bowl; brush pork with ketchup mixture (do not remove from oven). Bake an additional 3 hours, basting every hour with ketchup mixture.
- Pour remaining 1 cup water in bottom of roasting pan. Cover pork and pan tightly with foil. Bake an additional 3 3/4 hours or until a thermometer registers 190°. Remove from oven; let stand, covered, 45 minutes.
- To prepare sauce, in a blender, combine brown sugar, ketchup, vinegar, water and Worcestershire sauce. Season with mustard, paprika, salt, pepper, and hot pepper sauce. Blend until smooth.
- Serve pulled pork with sauce and pickles.