You have to make this ASAP. If you’ve ever felt intimidated by a large piece of brisket, now is your chance to conquer it. This brisket recipe is foolproof and Spud, my picky eater has been fixated on it ever since I served it –she told me she wants it every night for dinner …all week… too bad it was all devoured on Sunday.
I’m looking at the picture of it : this might be food porn for the crockpot lover. I really can’t say it enough – yum!
Oh, and you might need to wear a bib because the sauce is so darn addictive and it gets a little messy.
On to making brisket: first, trim the large chunks of fat from the brisket.
Next, (my crockpot is a little small I had to cut my beef in half) season the meat with the dry rub then seared it. I love sweet and savory things. Cayenne pepper and brown sugar – is there anything better ( sorry I don’t have a good picture of the seasoned beef).
Next, stir together the honey and BBQ sauce and layer 1/2 of the sauce in the bottom of the crockpot. Nestle the meat into the sauce then top with the remaining sauce.. oh yes.. isn’t it pretty?? All that’s left to do is let it cook all day. When you come home, your house is going to smell AMAZING!!!
Fantastic BBQ Crockpot Beef Brisket
- 1 brisket, 5 lbs., first cut
- Salt and pepper
- 2 tbs. oil for searing
- 1 tsp onion powder
- 1/2 tsp garlic powder
- 1/2 tsp smoked paprika (optional)
- 1/2 tsp cumin
- 1/4 tsp cayenne pepper (use 1/2 tsp for more heat)
- 1 1/2 cups smokey barbecue sauce
- 1/3 cup brown sugar
- 1/2 tbsp cornstarch
- Trim any large, thick pieces of fat from the brisket (don’t remove all of the fat because it keeps the meat moist during cooking and adds flavor)
- Sprinkle brisket with salt and pepper.
- Mix the onion powder, garlic powder, smoked paprika, cumin, and cayenne pepper together in a small bowl.
- Dry rub both sides of the brisket with the seasoning mixture.
- Heat oil in a pan over medium-high heat and sear the meat on both sides.
- Remove from the heat and set aside.
- Stir together the honey barbecue sauce and brown sugar.
- Pour half of the sauce into the bottom of your slow cooker.
- Place the brisket, fatty side up, into the slow cooker.
- Cover the top o the brisket with the remaining sauce.
- Cover the slow cooker and set heat to low for 9 hours, or until fork tender.
- When the brisket is cooked, remove it carefully from the slow cooker and place it on a cutting board.
- Pour the sauce from the slow cooker into a saucepan and let it cool.
- Skim the fat that has risen to the top of the sauce in the large bowl.
- It will appear lighter in color than the sauce, like droplets of oil on the surface. Skim as much fat as you can.
- In a small bowl, stir together cornstarch and 1 tbs. of water till completely smooth.
- Pour the cornstarch mixture into the bowl of sauce and stir to combine.
- Reduce the sauce quickly in a saucepan on the stovetop by simmering it to 10 minutes.
- Pour the sauce over the brisket and serve.
- The leftovers make great BBQ sandwiches.
If you like crockpot food, be sure to check out some of my favorite recipes.