This week’s #SundaySupper is being hosted by Kimchimom and it’s all about little bites of mouth-watering bliss that have been stuffed, rolled or wrapped. Don’t you just love eating eating “stuffed” food? Every bite tastes a little different and I tend to over indulge a little. That is why, today, I’m serving up a healthy twist on Eggplant Rollatini.
This is not your typical Italian Style Eggplant Rollatini—I didn’t use any cheese or breadcrumbs –but trust me, it’s yummy! ! Instead, I used brown rice and vegetables. I love this recipe because it reminds me of one of my favorite comfort foods and it’s super healthy. This recipe is derived from the Forks Over Knives Cookbook and is exactly the kind of thing I could eat every night of week and never get enough.
You might want to consider doubling up the recipe because these go fast!
Now lets get down to business:
Next, combine the garlic and soy sauce to make your eggplant’s marinade. Garlic and soy sauce just belong together — a match made in heaven. Once the marinade is well combined, brush it onto both side of the eggplant slices. Really get the sauce on there — yummy!
Pop the eggplant slices into the oven for 12 minutes. While they are baking, get your stuffing ingredients into a pan and sauté. Isn’t this spinach beautiful? I really love cooked spinach!
Next add the rice ( I used a microwavable bag to save time). Sauté it all together… wait until you smell this cooking… Mmmmmmm…
Time to put it all together: Cover a baking dish with 1/2 of the canned tomato sauce.
It was impossible to photograph the process ( stuffing and rolling eggplant with one hand on the camera proved to be impossible). To stuff the eggplant, simply layer 1/4 cup of the rice mixture onto one end of the eggplant slice and roll. It’s Just like making a wrap sandwich. Once it’s rolled together, place it seam- side down in the baking pan.
To finish, cover the rolled eggplant in the remaining tomato sauce and pop it in a 350 degree oven for 20 minutes or until it’s nice and bubbly.
If the smell of this Eggplant Rollatini doesn’t bring your family to the kitchen in search of dinner, I’ll fall off my chair: there is nothing better then eggplant, garlic, onions, rice and tomato sauce all rolled together. Did I say “yummy” yet?
Trust me when I say that this is an awesome, whole-foods dinner! Enjoy your #SundaySupper!
- 5 garlic cloves, 4 peeled diced or crushed and one peeled and diced
- 3 tbs. soy sauce
- 1 large eggplant, sliced
- 1 cup cooked brown rice
- 2 tbs. olive oil
- Sea salt and pepper
- 1 yellow onion, peeled and roughly chopped
- 2 celery stalks, chopped
- 1 carrot, chopped
- 1 package fresh spinach, washed
- Small handful of fresh basil, leaves town
- 1 (14 oz) can tomato sauce with Italian Seasoning
- Preheat oven to 350
- Cook rice according to package directions.
- In a small bowl, mash the 4 garlic cloves together with the soy sauce to make a marinade
- Lay eggplant slices down on a baking sheet and brush with marinade.
- Bake for 12 minutes or until the eggplant is tender and then remove from the oven to cool.
- In a large skillet over medium heat, add olive oil and onions and sauté for 3 minutes.
- Add celery and carrots and remaining garlic, sauté for 5 minutes then add the spinach.
- Once the spinach is wilted, add the rice to the pan and sauté for 3 minutes.
- Season with salt and pepper to taste and mix well.
- Spray a large baking pan with cooking spray and then spread ½ the tomato sauce in the bottom.
- Divide rice mixture between eggplant slices and roll.
- Place eggplant rolls seam down in the pan.
- Cover with remaining tomato sauce and bake, covered for 20 minutes.
For some more fantastic stuffed, wrapped and rolled #SundaySupper meals, be sure to check out these other yummy recipes:
Starters and Snacks
- Easy Apple Dumplings by Hezzi-D’s Books and Cooks
- Endive Stuffed with Blue Cheese, Walnuts and Honey by Shockingly Delicious
- Filipino Turon (Banana Lumpia) by Killer Bunnies, Inc
- Arepas de Queso (cheese stuffed cornmeal cakes) by A Kitchen Hoor’s Adventures
- Chicken Tinga Taquitos with Avocado Cream by Savvy Eats
- Eggy Rice Wraps by Jane’s Adventures in Dinner
- Puff Pastry and Prosciutto Wrapped Asparagus by The Girl In The Little Red Kitchen
- Onigiri by Brunch With Joy
- Stuffed Pierogie Shells by Seduction in The Kitchen
- Scotch Eggs with Sriracha Dipping Sauce by Run DMT
- Celery Root Lettuce Wraps with Beluga Lentils by The Wimpy Vegetarian
Entrees and Mains
- Rouladen by The Not So Cheesy Kitchen
- Stracci di Antrodoco by Manu’s Menu
- Eggplant Rollatini by MealDiva
- Chicken Cordon Blue by The Foodie Army Wife
- Stuffed Whole Baby Savoy Cabbages by Food Lust People Love
- Chicken Taco Egg Rolls by Table for Seven
- Shrimp Tempura Rolls by Small Wallet, Big Appetite
- Lemon and Herbed Stuffed Salmon by Nosh My Way
- Tamales de Rajas y Requeson (Roasted Poblano Tamales) by La Cocina de Leslie
- Bademjan Shekam-por – Persian Stuffed Eggplant by Culinary Adventures with Camilla
- Mascarpone Blueberry Stuffed French Toast by gotta get baked
- Korean-style Meaty Stuffed Potatoes by kimchi MOM
- Strawberries and Cream Pancake Roll by Curious Cuisiniere
- Creamy Goat Cheese Quinoa Stuffed Tomatoes by Take A Bite Out of Boca
- Rolled Greek Meatloaf by Kudos Kitchen By Renee
- Shrimp Burritos Con Queso by Cooking On The Ranch
- Bee-Bim Bop Sushi Rolls by NinjaBaking.com
- Angel Hair Shrimp Lettuce Wraps by Family Foodie
- Genoa Salami and Kalamata Olive Calzones by The Texan New Yorker
- Zucchini Boats by Confessions of a Culinary Diva
- Girl’s Camp Breakfast Burritos by Hot Momma’s Kitchen Chaos
- Crab Louie Stuffed Chicken by Cindy’s Recipes and Writings
- Rustic “Wrapped” Tart with Ramps by Delaware Girl Eats
- Potato Roll Stuffed with Ham and Cheese in Red Sauce by Basic N Delicious
- Ham, Turkey and Cheddar Turnovers by Magnolia Days
- Crispy Chipotle Shrimp Burritos by Bobbi’s Kozy Kitchen
- Caprese Stuffed Chicken Breasts by Peanut Butter and Peppers
- Pizza Pockets by girlichef
- Ham and Cheese Crescent “Roll” Stromboli by Rants From My Crazy Kitchen
- Beef Wellington Braciole by Cupcakes & Kale Chips
- Greek Salad Wrap by The Messy Baker
- Cabbage Venison Lettuce Wraps With Fresh Herbs by Sue’s Nutrition Buzz
All things Sweet
- Carrot Cake Cinnamon Rolls by Chocolate Moosey
- Chocolate Hazelnut Rugelach by Desserts Required
- Chocolate Cake Roll by That Skinny Chick Can Bake
- Cannoli Stuffed French Toast by Momma’s Meals
- Lemon Poppyseed Swirl Cookies by What Smells So Good
- Peanut Butter Chocolate Chip Cookie Dough Egg Rolls by Melanie Makes
- Raspberry and Lemon Curd Mascarpone Stuffed French Toast by La Bella Vita Cucina
- Chocolate Chip Banana Sweet Rolls by Big Bear’s Wife
- Orange Chocolate Swiss Roll by Noshing With The Nolands
- Salted Caramel Chocolate Cookies by Alida’s Kitchen
- Flourless Peanut Butter and Jelly Cookies by Pies and Plots
Join the #SundaySupper conversation on twitter on Sunday! We tweet throughout the day and share recipes from all over the world. Our weekly chat starts at 7:00 pm ET. Follow the #SundaySupper hashtag and remember to include it in your tweets to join in the chat. Check out our #SundaySupper Pinterest board for more fabulous recipes and food photos.
Would you like to join the Sunday Supper Movement? It’s easy! You can sign up by clicking here: Sunday Supper Movement