Eggplant, aubergine, whatever you want to call it—I’m just happy that this tasty veggie is in season. It’s incredibly versatile, delicious when grilled, roasted, sautéed, or pureed; it’s hearty enough to bulk up a plate, yet just as delicious in a light salad. Eggplants are great for soaking up flavor in any dish, but at their peak, are perhaps best enjoyed simply, maybe grilled with a dash of salt and pepper and a drizzle of olive oil… yum…
Today’s eggplant parmesan recipe is lightly coated in breadcrumbs and then baked with melted cheese and then topped off with a red sauce. Does it get better then this? Ummm… no! Cheers to a twist on Eggplant Parmesan (I used Gruyere instead)!
This dish so simple, so wonderful and so MealDiva Approved! The red sauce is from 101 cookbooks and is really a great “Five minute Tomato Sauce!”
So go grab an eggplant and make this easy, fast, healthy version of Eggplant Parmesan! Enjoy!
First, slice eggplant and sprinkle it with salt. Set it aside for 10 minutes and then use a paper towel to blot off any accumulated water. Next, fill one bowl with olive oil and another with whole-wheat, Italian seasoned bread crumbs. Dip eggplant into olive oil then dredge it in breadcrumbs.
Next, place eggplant on a foil-lined ( this is for easy clean up) baking sheet and bake at 400 degrees for 20 minutes. Flip eggplant once during cooking time. After 20 minutes, add 1-2 slices of cheese and broil until cheese melts and starts to turn brown… OMG… looks so good…
Yes… I like cheese…
Serve eggplant with prepared pasta and sauce. One bite and you will be in love!
- 2 small or 1 large eggplant
- ¼ cup olive oil
- 2 cups Italian seasoned whole-wheat breadcrumbs
- 1 brick of Gruyere cheese, sliced
- 1 jar of red sauce or homemade red sauce, see recipe recommendation above
- Preheat oven to 400 degrees.
- Pour olive oil into a small bowl.
- Add breadcrumbs to another small bowl.
- Dip eggplant in olive oil and then breadcrumbs to coat.
- Place eggplant on a foil lined baking sheet.
- Bake in the oven for 20 minutes, turning 1/2 way through cooking time, making sure eggplant is done (should be browned on outside)
- Turn oven up to low-broil
- Add 1-2 slices of cheese per eggplant slice and broil until cheese is melted
- Serve with red sauce and whole-wheat pasta.