Connect with your family over Sunday dinner. This Sunday, I decided to make comfort food that was easy to prepare and simply delicious.
- Appetizer: Phyllo Wrapped Asparagus (recipe is on link below and ingredients are on the shopping list)
- Sausage and Peppers
- Apple and Spinach Salad
- Fresh Bread: Pick it up from your local bakery. Mine is from Christie’s in Clinton, NJ
- Beer pairing suggestion: LAGUNITAS HOP STOOPID ALE from Bourbon Liquors in Califon, NJ
- Dessert: Dark Chocolate Brownies
Crockpot Sausage and Peppers
- 1 family-sized package of Sweet Italian Sausages
- 2 bell peppers, sliced into strips
- 2 yellow onions, sliced into strips
- 1 (24oz) can diced tomatoes with Italian seasonings
- 1 (6oz) can tomato paste
- Optional: 2 cloves of garlic smashed
- In a large skillet, brown the sausages for 5 minutes. This seals in the juice.
- Add peppers and onion to the Crockpot followed by the sausages.
- Pour can of diced tomatoes and tomato paste over top. If using garlic, add it as well.
- Turn Crockpot on and cook on high for 3 hours or on low for 8 hours.
- Note: this sausages can be prepared and frozen ahead. See below for freezer meal instructions!
Apple and Spinach Salad
- 2 tbs. olive oil
- 1 tbs. cider vinegar
- 1 tsp. Dijon mustard
- Salt and freshly ground pepper
- 5 ounces baby spinach leaves (about 5 cups lightly packed)
- 1 Gala apple
- In a small bowl whisk together the oil, vinegar and mustard
- Season with salt and pepper to taste
- Toss the spinach with the dressing until evenly coated then divide the spinach among 4 serving plates
- Core the apple and slice it into matchsticks. Sprinkle a quarter of the apple pieces on top of each salad
Dark Chocolate Brownies – derived from Alton Brown
- 4 eggs
- 1 cup sugar
- 1 cup brown sugar
- 1 stick melted butter
- 11/4 cups cocoa, sifted
- 2 tsp. vanilla extract
- 1/2 cup unbleached flour
- 1/2 tsp. kosher salt
- ½ cup dark chocolate chips
- Cooking Spray
- Preheat the oven to 300 degrees F. Spray a 8 inch square pan with non-stick spray.
- In a mixer fitted with a whisk attachment, beat the eggs at medium speed until fluffy and light yellow. Add both sugars. Add remaining ingredients, and mix to combine.
- Pour the batter into a greased and floured 8-inch square pan and bake for 45 minutes. When it’s done, remove to a rack to cool.
The Shopping List:
Beer: LAGUNITAS HOP STOOPED ALE: Sold at Bourbon Liquors, Califon, NJ
- 2 bell peppers (choice of colors)
- 2 yellow onion
- 1 Gala apple
- 5 cups baby spinach
- 24 asparagus spears
- 1 family size package of sweet Italian sausages
- 4 oz thinly sliced prosciutto
- 1 (24oz) can tomatoes with Italian seasoning
- Cider vinegar
- Dijon mustard
- Olive oil
- Brown sugar
- White sugar
- Vanilla extract
- Unbleached flour
- Kosher salt
- Dark chocolate chips
- Cooking spray
- Fresh baguette of choice
- 10 Sheets phyllo dough
Freezer Meal Crockpot Sausages & Peppers:
Directions for freezing:
1 Mix all the ingredients in a large zip-lock bag and freeze.
Ingredients for day of cooking:
1 Defrost in the refrigerator overnight.
2 Place in Crockpot and cook on low for 6-8 hours.
If you like this Sunday Night Dinner idea, be sure to check out Sunday Night Dinner: Italian Inspired as well