If your looking for a truly satisfying, cool weather crockpot recipe that’s simple and soothing, this chicken soup is the perfect choice. In fact it’s destined to make you very happy as I usually have just enough left over for lunch the next day… twice the comfort!
Crockpot Chicken Soup
- 4 cups chicken broth
- 4 cups water
- 2 carrots, chopped
- 2 celery stalks, chopped
- 1 yellow onion, diced
- 2 garlic cloves, minced
- 2 bay leaves
- ½ tsp. dried thyme
- 2-4 tsp. salt
- ½ tsp. black pepper
- 1 (3.5 lbs.) whole chicken (giblets removed)
- ½ box whole-wheat noodles of choice
- In 4-1/2 to 6-quart Crockpot combine chicken broth, water, carrots, celery, onion, garlic, bay leaves, thyme, salt and pepper.
- Place whole chicken on top of veggies
- Cover slow cooker with lid and cook as manufacturer directs on low setting 8 to 10 hours or on high 4-5 hours
- Transfer chicken to cutting board. Discard bay leaves. Add noodles to Crockpot; cover with lid and cook (on low or high) 20 minutes.
- While noodles cook, remove and discard skin, fat and bones from chicken; shred meat.
- Skim fat from the soup and discard. Return shredded chicken to the pot and serve.