These chicken thighs are marinated in a flavorful and subtly spicy sauce then skewered and grilled to perfection before being served alongside a savory yogurt dip.
It’s starting to feel like fall, which means it’s time to bring on the finger food and football! Football is a great excuse for entertaining; simply set out some yummy food, open a few bottles of delicious wine and you’ve got a party – pronto! Today, #SundaySupper and Gallo Family Vineyards are talking about Tailgating on your home turf and pairing delectable finger food with mouthwatering wine.
Typically, tailgating is when you gather up your friends and family before a game, grab some drinks and food and have a party in the parking lot. I’m not even a huge fan of the sport but I get all wrapped up in the excitement of the season. For me, before I was blessed with three small kids, tailgating in the parking lot was a fun way to get together with family and friends but now, we enjoy hosting a big-old tailgating party at home!
At our party I always have a football on hand for tossing and a few football decorations and several fall touches like mums or pumpkins to keep things seasonal. A home- based tailgating party can be easy if the menu planning is done in advance. Personally, I like to serve finger foods on skewers, crunchy vegetables, chips and dips and chocolate chip cookies or apple pastries– all things that are easy to nosh on, a little seasonal and will leave my guests satisfied.
Today, I am excited to be sharing this super easy chicken recipe with you because it is everything tailgating food should be: easy, laid back and tasty. Don’t shy away from the spicy aspect of this dish because it won’t leave your mouth burning. I promise that even if you can’t tolerate any spice that you will still enjoy these (especially when it’s dunked in cooling yogurt dip). This recipe is a real favorite in my house because my family enjoys dark meat but for those white meat lovers out there, chicken tenderloins can be substituted.
How do you like to tailgate?
For today’s tailgating party, I’m serving these Chicken Thigh Kebobs with a yummy wine pairing using both a Pink Moscato and a Pinot Noir . Both wines compliment these football- party- pleaser- kabobs perfectly. The Pink Moscato is light bodied and immediately hits the front of your tongue with touches of citrus and peach and finishes with hints of berries and orange blossoms. It’s a sweet wine and I enjoy pairing it with spicy dishes. Then there is the Pinot Noir- a classic wine that’s medium bodied with a smooth finish that pairs perfectly with chicken.
Is your mouthwatering yet?
Oh! I just have to mention I have to tell you how much I love these mini bottles of wine! As a wine drinker, I often find myself sipping on soda pop at tailgating parties because big bottles of wine don’t travel well. These mini bottles are the PERFECT solution to my problem! Portable and tasty – a dream come true. They are also perfect for a party – a few mini bottles of wine and everyone gets to open and enjoy what they like. These Gallo bottles come in Cabernet Sauvignon, Chardonnay, Merlot, Mostcato, Pink Grigio, Pink Moscato, Pinot Noir, Red Moscato or White Zinfandel. So be sure to pick up a few flavors for your next football gathering!
You can find more information on Gallo Family Vineyards and tailgating entertaining here. Find a store near you that sells Gallo Wine here. You can follow Gallo Family Vineyards on Twitter, Facebook, Instagram and You Tube.
Compensation was provided by Gallo Family Vineyards via Sunday Supper, LLC. The opinions expressed herein are those of the author, and are not indicative of the opinions or positions of Gallo Family Vineyards.
Chicken Thigh Kebabs with Spiced Yogurt Dipping Sauce
- ½ cup plus 1 tbs. olive oil
- 2 tbs. paprika
- 1 tsp. chili powder
- ½ tsp. cumin powder
- 1 cup plain Greek yogurt
- 1 lemon, juiced
- ½ tsp. cayenne
- ¼ tsp red pepper flakes
- Salt and pepper to taste
- Lemon or lime wedges for serving
- In a large bowl, whisk the ½ cup olive oil with the paprika and chili powder and cumin. Add the chicken and toss to coat. Let the chicken stand in marinade, at room temperature, for 15 – 20 minutes.
- Meanwhile, combine the yogurt with the lemon juice, cayenne, red pepper flakes and 1 tbs. olive oil
- Season yogurt with salt and pepper to taste then place in the refrigerator to keep cool.
- Light grill.
- Season chicken with salt and pepper and thread 3 pieces onto each of 8 skewers or 1 piece onto each of 24 smaller skewers.
- Oil the grates and grill the chicken over medium heat, turning occasionally until they are golden brown and cooked though, about 10-12 minutes.
- Transfer skewers to a serving platter and serve with yogurt dipping sauce and lemon or lime wedges.
Whatever team your cheering for, I hope these recipes give you some inspiration for a simply and easy tailgating party! Enjoy!
List of #SundaySupper recipes here.
- Buffalo Chicken Dip by Whole Food | Real Families
- Chicken Thigh Kabobs with Spiced Yogurt Dip by MealDiva
- Chorizo Queso Dip by Cosmopolitan Cornbread
- Chorizo Stuffed Mushrooms by Casa de Crews
- Hatch Chile Deviled Eggs by Shockingly Delicious
- Jalapeno Popper Deviled Eggs by Bobbi’s Kozy Kitchen
- Skillet Jalapeno Popper Dip by Life Tastes Good
Game Time Mains
- Al Capone Dog by Palatable Pastime
- Bacon Bleu Cheese Sliders by The Crumby Cupcake
- Bacon Wrapped Jalapeno Quail by Flavor Mosaic
- Brat Burger by Curious Cuisiniere
- Brie Tomato and Quinoa by Family Foodie
- Crispy Chicken Wings by Feeding Big
- Crispy Maple Hot Wings by Grumpy’s Honeybunch
- Melty Turkey Cheese Sliders by Feed Me, Seymour
- Sticky Sweet and Sour Baby Back Ribs by Serena Bakes Simply From Scratch
The Victory Celebration
- Apple Crisp in a Jar by Desserts Required
- Caramel Apple Dip by Recipes Food and Cooking
- Double Crusted Apple Pie Galette by The Wimpy Vegetarian
- Grandma’s Brownies by Alida’s Kitchen
Who says you have to be at the stadium to tailgate? Here are Five Easy Tailgate Food Tips plus Football Party Recipes #SundaySupper with Gallo Family Vineyards. Need more tips on tailgate planning? Check out Gallo Family Vineyards’ blog.
Join the #SundaySupper conversation on twitter on Sunday! We tweet throughout the day and share recipes from all over the world. Our weekly chat starts at 7 pm ET. Follow the #SundaySupper hashtag and remember to include it in your tweets to join in the chat. To get more great Sunday Supper Recipes, visit our website or check out our Pinterest board.
Would you like to join the Sunday Supper Movement? It’s easy. You can sign up by clicking here: Sunday Supper Movement.