Saint Patrick’s Day is almost here and it’s time to eat some green! Thank you Foodie Stuntman of Crazy Foodie Stunts for hosting today’s #SundaySupper!
For today’s #SundaySupper, I debated making swiss chard, spinach or asparagus but my kids requested Cheesy Broccoli Baked Potatoes for Saint Patrick’s Day dinner and I could not refuse. As Spud says “it’s green stuffed in a potato — perfect for Saint Patty’s Day!” It’s such an easy way to get my picky 5 year- old to eat some green – maybe it will work for your kids 2! In fact, this recipe gets applause from my kids every time I serve it for dinner. So gather your family around the table and eat your greens (along with potatoes and cheese). This stuffed potato is the perfect side to a nice, juicy steak! Enjoy!
First, wrap your potatoes in foil and bake in a 400 degree oven for 1 hour until they are fork tender. During the last 5 minutes of baking, steam your broccoli florets for 3-5 minutes until they are bright green but still a little crunchy.
When the potatoes are cool enough to handle, make a cross in the top and carefully peel back the skin.
Next, scoop out the inside of the potato, leaving just enough in the skin to keep the shape. I leave the potatoes on the foil the entire time to minimize the mess. Scoop the potato into a medium bowl and add the butter, milk, salt and pepper and mash it to your desired consistency. We like ours a little chunky but feel free to make them mashed, light and fluffy! Then fold in the cheese.
I’m starting to get excited… this is going to be super yummy….I can’t wait!!
Next, fold in the beautiful green broccoli…have I said “yum” yet??? OMG…
Now here comes the fun part: stuff the potatoes!
Next, fold up the foil around the edges and pop it back in the oven for 25 minutes or until the cheese is melted and oh so gooey!
Here it is…luscious, gooey goodness…is there anything better then a baked potato bursting with yummy flavors??? I think not!
Time to dig in! Cheers!
Cheesy Broccoli Baked Potatoes
- 4 medium baking potatoes
- 1 medium head of broccoli, cut into florets
- 4 tbs. butter
- 2 tbs. skim milk
- A pinch of salt and pepper to taste
- 1 cup shredded cheddar cheese
- Preheat oven to 375 degrees
- Cover potatoes in foil and bake for 1 hour or until tender when pierced with a fork.
- Steam broccoli for 5 minutes until bright green and still a little crunchy
- When potatoes are cool enough to handle, open the foil packet and make a + on the top of them and carefully pull back the skin.
- Remove the inside potato leaving a little in the shell to keep the shape.
- In a medium bowl, combine potato butter, milk, salt and pepper and ½ cup cheese. I leave mine a little chunky but feel free to mash it right up.
- Gently fold in the broccoli
- Divide potato and broccoli mixture among the empty potato skins and top with remaining cheese.
- Fold the foil around the potato skins and bake for 25 minutes until the cheese is melted and gooey.
Be sure to check out all of the Green dishes for #SundaySupper – everything is here from green foods to beverages to desserts! Happy Saint Patrick’s Day! ☺
Green Light Appetizers and Sides
- Espinacas con Crema (Creamed Spinach) from La Cocina de Leslie
- Steakhouse Style Creamed Spinach from It’s Yummi!
- Oven-Fried Green Beans from A Kitchen Hoor’s Adventures
- Irish Champ from girlichef
- Fresh Herb Tabouleh from Jane’s Adventures in Dinner
- Moroccan Greens from Cooking On The Ranch
- Broccoli and Cheese Soup from Peanut Butter and Peppers
- Polenta Crust Creamed Spinach Tart from Cupcakes & Kale Chips
- Cheesy Broccoli Baked Potatoes from MealDiva
- Spinach and Artichoke Squares from Kudos Kitchen By Renee
- Green Rice from Basic N Delicious
- Broccoli and Blue Cheese Tarts from Mess Makes Food
- Avocado Fries from Small Wallet, Big Appetite
- Spinach Cashew Pakoras with Tangy Date Sauce from Sue’s Nutrition Buzz
- Garlicky Italian Green Beans and Potatoes from Webicurean
Getting Greens Through Salads
- Pixie Dust Salad with Avocados, Pixie Tangerines and Radishes from Shockingly Delicious
- Roasted Broccoli Spinach Salad from The Not So Cheesy Kitchen
- Apple, Spinach and Zucchini Salad from Hip Foodie Mom
- Brussels Sprouts Slaw from Hot Momma’s Kitchen Chaos
- Asparagus-Fennel-Pea Shoot Salad from Culinary Adventures with Camilla
- Cilantro Lime Ranch Dressing from The Foodie Army Wife
- Creamy Chicken Pesto Salad from Cindy’s Recipes and Writings
Entreés That Will Leave You Green With Envy
- Eggs and Greens Pizza from Bobbi’s Kozy Kitchen
- Creamy Green Pizza from The Foodie Patootie
- Shamrock Spinach Crepes from Curious Cuisiniere
- Healthy Green Pasta from Momma’s Meals
- Swiss Chard & Sausage Pasta Bake from Delaware Girl Eats
- Smothered Cabbage with Pork from Food Lust People Love
- Spinach Fettuccine with Bacon Alfredo from Crazy Foodie Stunts
- Roasted Asparagus Eggs Benedict With Cajun Hollandaise from Having Fun Saving
- Indulgent Pesto Risotto from The Weekend Gourmet
- Twice Baked Turkey Pie with Cabbage from Confessions of a Culinary Diva
- Slow-Cooker Irish Stout Chicken Stew from FoodieTots
- Chicken and Asparagus Flatbread Pizza from Family Foodie
Desserts and Beverages That Will Make Others Turn Green
- Lemon Kiwi Meringue Pie from Desserts Required
- Mint Cookies and Stout Shake from Melanie Makes
- Verde Sangria from Country Girl in the Village
- Baileys Mint Ice Cream & Chocolate Stout Float from The Girl In The Little Red Kitchen
- Shamrock Cookies from Hezzi-D’s Books and Cooks
- Green Tea Latte from Manu’s Menu
- Grasshopper Mousse from That Skinny Chick Can Bake
- Amazing Grass Brownies from Killer Bunnies, Inc
- Leprechaun Ice Cream from Cookistry
- White Chocolate Cupcakes with Pistachio Pudding Frosting from Cookin’ Mimi
- Collard Greens, Mushroom, and Cheddar Bread Pudding from The Texan New Yorker
- Coconut Avocado Ice Cream from URBAN BAKES
- Lime Meltaways from Pies and Plots
- Chocolate Mint Cake from NinjaBaking.com
Join the #SundaySupper conversation on twitter on Sunday! We tweet throughout the day and share recipes from all over the world. Our weekly chat starts at 7:00 pm ET. Follow the #SundaySupper hashtag and remember to include it in your tweets to join in the chat. Check out our #SundaySupper Pinterest board for more fabulous recipes and food photos.
Would you like to join the Sunday Supper Movement? It’s easy. You can sign up by clicking here: Sunday Supper Movement.
Like this?Make sure to follow me on Facebook, Twitter, and Pinterest. Also be sure to subscribe to my newsfeed to receive free recipes delivered directly to your inbox.
New: MealDiva Dinner Plans - Summer 2014 is now available.