I am a big fan of eating local food. I get my CSA share from Ort Farms in Long Valley, NJ and it has been fantastic! This week we got lettuce, beets, tomatoes and garlic (just to name a few). These veggies inspired Spud and I to create this farm fresh meal last night and it was great! In fact, it was so terrific that I had to blog about it right away! The vinegar compliments the beets beautifully while the tomato topping adds a fresh dimension to the burger. I have to give another local thumbs up to Chester Meat Market, as their ground beef was exceptional! Our burgers were moist, tasty and really just beautiful!
So here is a complete, Mealdiva approved dinner: healthy, flavorful, local and delicious!
Bruschetta Tomato Hamburger
- 2 1/2 lbs. ground beef
- 3 garlic cloves finely chopped or grated (divided)
- 1 small yellow onion, diced
- Salt and pepper to taste
- 4 ripe tomatoes, diced
- 5 fresh basil leaves, torn
- 1 tbs. olive oil
- Preheat grill to medium- high heat.
- Mix beef, 1 clove of garlic, onion and a sprinkle of salt and pepper in a bowl.
- Mold this mixture into 4 slim patties and put it in the fridge to cool while you make the tomato topping.
- While burgers are cooling, add oil to a saucepan and heat on medium-high.
- Add remaining garlic and sauté for 1 minute.
- Add tomatoes and basil then simmer for 7-10 minutes until tomatoes begin to soften.
- Remove from heat and sprinkle on a little salt and pepper.
- Place a lid on the saucepan to keep the tomatoes warm.
- Cook patties on grill (about 5 min for med, flipping once).
- Place patties on plate and top with tomatoes. Yum!
Roasted Beet Salad
When peeling beets, lay a piece of parchment paper on your cutting board to prevent staining.
- 5 fresh beets, leaves trimmed and skin left on.
- ¼ cup balsamic vinegar
- ¼ cup olive oil
- A good pinch of salt
- ¼ tsp. pepper
- 2 tbs. spicy brown mustard
- 1 head of romaine lettuce leaves torn.
- 4 oz. Goat cheese
- Preheat oven to 400
- Wrap each beet, individually, in a piece of aluminum foil.
- Bake wrapped beets on a cookie sheet for 60 minutes.
- While beets are cooking, whisk balsamic vinegar with brown mustard, salt and pepper.
- Slowly stream in olive oil.
- Remove beets from the oven and let them sit for 5 minutes until cool enough to handle.
- Peel beets and slice thin.
- While beets are still warm, toss with just enough balsamic dressing to coat.
- Lay lettuce on a serving platter and drizzle with dressing.
- Top lettuce with beets and then sprinkle with goat cheese.