February is here and I’m into warm bowls of comforting bliss like this Chunky Texas Style Beefy Stew.
I always put two cups of chopped spinach in this stew. There’s really no rhyme or reason behind the addition, I just really think the spinach adds a nice touch of green. You can omit the spinach if you wish. After all, this meal is truly a meaty carnivores dream come true and also perfect to serve at your Super Bowl party! Enjoy!
Chunky Texas Style Beefy Stew
- 2 tbs. olive oil
- 1 1/2 lbs. stew meat chunks
- 1 yellow onion, chopped into chunks
- 6 cloves garlic, diced
- 1 (28 oz) can whole tomatoes
- 1 (16 oz) can tomato sauce
- 2 ( 4oz) cans chopped chilies
- 1 tbs. ground cumin
- 3 tbs. chili powder
- 1 tsp. salt
- Optional 2 cups chopped spinach
- Optional (for thickening if desired): 1 corn tortilla, torn up
- Optional: 15 ounce can kidney or pinto beans; for more heat, add a couple of chili petins (similar to bird-eye peppers)
Sour cream, for serving
- Heat olive oil in a large dutch oven or soup pot then sear the stew meat chunks on all sides, 5 minutes.
- Add onion and sauté for 5 minutes then add garlic and sauté for an additional minute.
- Add remaining ingredients (except the spinach and beans if you decide to use them) and bring to a boil over medium heat.
- Reduce heat, cover and simmer for 2 hours.
- If using, add the spinach and beans (drained and rinsed).
- Taste and add more salt if it needs it. If you’d like it thicker, stir in the corn tortilla pieces.
- Simmer for an additional 30 minutes and serve with a dollop of sour cream.