In the summer, my kids look forward to making this giant fruit cookie! I whipped it up yesterday during swimming lessons and the kids were super excited for a treat brimming with fresh summer fruit! It’s really fun and simple to make, perfect to bring to a BBQ!
Traditionally, I use pre-made sugar cookie dough to make the base but recently stumbled upon this recipe at The Coconut Mama and it was yummy! I changed it a little to my tastes. Give it a try!
- 1 ¾ cup whole-wheat flour
- 1 tsp. salt
- 1 tsp. baking powder
- ½ tsp. baking soda
- ¼ cup coconut oil
- 3 tbs. honey
- ½ coconut or regular sugar
- 1 ½ tsp. vanilla extract
- 1 egg
- 3 tbs. water
- whipping cream
- In a large mixing bowl, combine the dry ingredients. Set aside.
- Using a food processor or blender, combine coconut oil, honey, sugar and vanilla.
- Add egg and continue to combine.
- Slowly add the dry mix to the wet mix.
- If the batter is not sticking together well, add water, 1 tbs. at a time to smooth it out.
- Cover dough and place in the refrigerator for 20 minutes.
- Preheat oven to 350.
- Line a cookie sheet with parchment paper and place dough on the pan.
- Roll dough out.
- Bake crust for 15-20 minutes or until golden brown on top.
- Let the large cookie cool before applying toppings or else the whipped cream will melt!
- Top cookie with whipped cream and then fresh fruit of choice. What an easy, great dessert!
This recipe is derived from
http://thecoconutmama.com check out her website for other great recipe’s using coconut oil as well as other wonderful Gluten/Dairy free ideas!