My kids know summer is here when they start enjoying juicy, vine-ripened strawberries from the local farm. Strawberries are so much more then just a healthy sweet treat: they are loaded with vitamin C , folic acid, selenium, calcium and at 55 calories per cup, they are a perfect food to add color, flavor and texture to your meals without packing on the pounds. They also make perfect snacks.
If you can, I highly recommend making a trip to a local farm to go strawberry picking with the kids. If you can’t and are looking to purchase them at stores, shop with your nose. My mother taught me how to smell fruit and choose the most fragrant ones. Strawberries should also be bright, not moldy or bruised. Always select strawberries that are dry as moisture can produce mold that spreads quickly.
Strawberries should be eaten right away. If you did not get around to eating them for a few days, and they are starting to look a little sad, below is a great way to use them up so that they don’t go to waste. Keep in mind that this is not the most “figure friendly” dessert, but it is tasty!
- 4 cups fresh strawberries
- 2 cups sour cream
- 1 tbs. sugar
- 2 tsp vanilla extract
- 4 tbs. brown sugar
- Optional: serve over vanilla ice-cream.
- Preheat the broiler.
- Slice the ends off of the strawberries.
- Put strawberries cut side down, sitting upright in a tart pan.
- Nuzzle them together, side by side as many as you can to fill the pan.
- In bowl, mix the sour cream. sugar and vanilla. Pour over the berries. Sprinkle the brown sugar over the strawberries and broil 3-5 min., until the top gets brown and crusty. Serve warm.