Delightful Lemon Cookies for Christmas – yes please!
Yesterday was all about Gluten-Free Snowmen and today it’s all about lemon. With a subtle citrus taste, these cookies are light, sweet and a real treat to serve during the holidays! The white chocolate chips add an extra finishing touch that is sure to delight the little ones in your life. As a matter of fact, I took this batch to soccer practice and they were gobbled up in seconds. I don’t know if they were THAT GOOD or the girls worked THAT HARD and were just hungry. Either way, they were deemed blog worthy by a bunch of 8 year olds! Enjoy!
First, get the batter made by creaming the butter and confections sugar together until it’s light and fluffy. Next, beat in the lemon juice and zest and vanilla until combined then add the flour. Now that the batter is made, using your hands, roll it into balls.
Place the balls on parchment paper and then lightly press the dough with the palm of your hand to lightly flatten them.
I had Stew help me make these cookies – don’t you like the finger marks in the dough balls?
Bake in the preheated oven for 11-13 minutes or until they are golden brown. Remove to a wire rack to cool.
While the cookies are cooling, make the lemon icing and get ready to drizzle, dip and spread on the cookies.
My kids LOVE making these cookies with me because I let them get a little carried away with the Christmas sprinkles. Happy Holidays!
Delightful Lemon Cookies
- 1 1/3 cups butter, softened
- 2 cups confections sugar
- 1 lemon, zested and juiced
- ½ tsp. vanilla extract
- 3 cups whole-wheat flour
- ¼ cup sugar
- ¾ cup white chocolate chips, melted
- Optional: Sprinkles for decorating.
- Preheat the oven to 325 degrees and line a baking sheet with parchment paper. Set aside.
- In a large bowl, cream together the butter and confections sugar until light and fluffy.
- Beat in the lemon juice and zest and vanilla until combined then add the flour.
- Mix well.
- Roll the dough into 1-inch balls.
- Place 2 inches apart on a lined cookie sheet and, using the palm of your hand, softly flatten the tops of each ball.
- Bake in the preheated oven for 11-13 minutes or until they are golden brown. Remove to a wire rack to cool.
- Drizzle with melted white chocolate chips.