I make these all of the time… they might be my favorite dessert…I actually included them in a Sunday Night Dinner: American Inspired but I think they deserve a post of their own. You just need to make these….like right now…
Amazing Lemon Bars
For the Crust:
- 1 3/4 cups whole-wheat flour
- 2/3 cup powdered sugar, plus extra to top the bars with
- 1/4-cup cornstarch
- 1/2 tsp. salt
- 2 sticks butter at room temperature, cut into 1-inch pieces
For the Filling:
- 4 large eggs
- 1 1/3 cups granulated sugar
- 3 tbs. whole wheat flour
- 2 lemons, zested
- 2/3 cup lemon juice
- 1/3-cup milk
- Pinch of salt
- Place an oven rack in the middle position and preheat the oven to 350 degrees F.
- Line a 9X13-inch baking pan with foil or parchment paper and lightly grease it.
- Stir together the flour, powdered sugar, cornstarch, and salt.
- Add the pieces of butter and cut the butter into the dry ingredients using your fingers until the mixture is crumbly.
- Sprinkle the mixture into the prepared pan and press into an even layer on the bottom and about 1/2-inch up the sides of the pan. Refrigerate for 15-30 minutes.
- Bake until golden brown, about 20 minutes.
- For the filling, whisk together the eggs, sugar, and flour in a medium bowl and then stir in the lemon zest, juice and milk to combine.
- Pour the filling onto the warm crust (it’s important that the crust is still warm!) and reduce the oven temperature to 325 degrees.
- Bake for about 18-20 minutes until the filling feels slightly firm to the touch.
- Cool the bars to room temperature, sprinkle with additional powdered sugar and cut into bars.
Recipe is derived from Mel’s Kitchen Café — what a great website! Check it out!